South Dublin County Council joins LAPN
South Dublin County Council is the latest local authority to join LAPN and become involved in resource efficiency in its region – specifically in the Square Shopping Centre Tallaght.
The Square Shopping Centre Tallaght has over 160 shops, restaurants and a cinema complex. The entire centre generates many different types of waste. In April 2013 the Square’s management began to put a number of measures in place to segregate waste and install a system to handle food waste.
Management at the Square are very enthusiastic about improving waste management within the complex and in the public areas.
A South Dublin County Council official made two visits to the centre to agree a strategy for improved waste management which would result in greater resource efficiency, reduced waste, less cost and greater environmental value. One audit has already been carried out at the Square and further work in underway.
- Carry out an analysis of waste streams – types, amounts, origin and destination yard
- Conduct a waste audit to determine exact issues
- Develop a programme to highlight the need to segregate and reduce waste including a plan outlining targets and timefarme
- Programme to include:
- Waste reduction initiatives following results and analysis of audit
- Communication and awareness programme for tenant shops and waste management staff
- Develop a community waste awareness programme to be held in the Square
- Produce promotional material including signs, leaflets and material for the in-house magazine InTallaght.
To learn more about this South Dublin County Council LAPN initiative, contact:
Máire Ní Dhomhnaill, Environmental Services Department, South Dublin County Council, County Hall, Tallaght, Dublin 24
T: 01-4149000 Ext 9267