Meath Develops Awareness Raising Programme
Meath County Council has developed an Awareness programme for householders in the region consisting of three main elements.
Firstly a Cinema Advertising Campaign is being implemented in Navan and Ashbourne Cinemas, highlighting food waste prevention.
Secondly there are a number of lunch time lectures being given by Glenville Nutrition covering a range of topics including ‘Cooking for Sports Enthusiasts’, ‘Cooking for Kids’, ‘Cooking for Families’, ‘Reduce Waste, Plan Your Food Week’.
These are being backed up by a social media campaign on Meath County Council’s social media, highlighting the use of meal planning apps, food saving tips, and information on its Food Waste Recycling Scheme at Navan Recycling Centre, using the Bio Nova Waste Digerster.
The Adverisement Campaign is running from September 2017 to April 2018, as will the workshops. The social media campaign will run from June 2017.
The objectives of the campaign are to:
- Raise awareness and reduce Food Waste in Households
- Assist people in better planning and shopping in order to reduce food waste
- Reduce food waste going to landfill for households who don’t have access to the brown bin
- Promote use of brown bin where it is available
- Help people to make better use of the food they purchase – storage, blanching, freezing, portion size
- Reduce acceptance of overly packaged goods