Leitrim County Council has been working work with 5 Food Businesses in Leitrim, providing them with Compostable Packaging over a 2 month period and educating them on all the benefits involved. The benefits include:
- No need to clean the packaging before disposing in the Brown Bin
- Recycling Food Waste and Packaging together eliminates customer confusion on which bin to use
- It reduces waste to landfill and incineration
- Compostable packaging and food waste is recycled into compost here in Ireland, supporting Irish jobs.
- Providing Civic leadership
An open call was put out to Small Independent Food Takeaway Businesses in County Leitrim. One Business from the five major towns in Leitrim (Carrick on Shannon, Mohill, Ballinamore, Drumshanbo and Manorhamilton ) was selected to take part. The Environmental Awareness Officer worked with the businesses to source Compostable Packaging to suit their needs and the Business was provided with all they need for a 2 month period.
Each participating business was required to act as an ambassador for Compostable Packaging in their Business Network/Chamber of Commerce.
A guide for supporting free public drinking water
A new guide is available on supporting access to free public drinking…
A case study on designing out waste in construction
A case study is now available here on a recent LAPN project…
EPA Circular Economy award in the TidyTowns 2021 competition
The national TidyTowns competition is back for 2021. The EPA continues to…