Carlow Engages with Local Community Groups
Carlow County Council has engaged with community groups such as running clubs and residents associations to promote waste prevention in 2015.
This year the local authority focused on issues such as:
- preventing waste from single use consumables such as plastic bottles and junk mail
- encouraging participation in the master composter programme
- the launch of a Repair Directory for Carlow
- cinema adverts to raise awareness about food waste
- making more sustainable choices such as greener cleaning & gardening
- saving money & preventing waste through engaging proactively on the Stop Food Waste programme.
To maximise the impact of these projects, the local authority worked with partners and intermediaries such as:
- Tullow Road Race
- Carlow Tidy Town Groups
- Carlow Community Groups
- Primary & Secondary Schools across Carlow
- Irish Peatland Conservation Council
The projects were promoted widely, locally. Press releases were issued to all local media to promote the Master Composter programme, the Carlow Repair Directory and the Food Waste Cinema Adverts. Significant media coverage of all the initiatives undertaken was achieved in the local press.