These pages showcase “waste prevention” ideas, and some examples of what local authorities and communities in Ireland are doing.
From its inception, the Local Authority Prevention Network (LAPN) has been working with local communities to support waste prevention. Now we are making available to Tidy Towns Committees and Other Community Groups, many different examples and case studies of waste prevention initiatives in the community.
2017 APPLICATION FORM COMING SHORTLY………..
The award is open to ANY community group (not just Tidy Towns).
Waste prevention is any initiative to reduce waste, water use, energy use or use of materials. This can be something done by the Community, Homes, Businesses, Schools, and Festivals with your local authority or other organisations.
Winners in 2016:
National Award Winner 2016: Blackrock Tidy Towns, Co. Louth
Highly commended 2016:
– Raphoe Tidy Towns, Co. Donegal
– Greystones Tidy Towns, Co. Wicklow
Winners in 2015:
National Award Winner 2015: Glaslough TidyTowns, Co. Monaghan
Highly commended 2015:
– Sligo TidyTowns Partnership, Co. Sligo
– Abbey Village, Loughrea, Co. Galway
Additional prize – Most Innovative Project: Moyross Residents’ Forum
Winners in 2014:
National Award Winner 2014: Ballon Improvement Group, County Carlow
Highly commended 2014:
– Blackrock Tidy Towns, Co. Louth
– Milltown Tidy Towns, Co. Galway
Pick a topic of interest to see what you could do.
Monaghan TidyTowns Sustainable Waste & Resource Management Conference, April 2016
See the presentations from a conference hosted by Monaghan County Council on the Tidy Towns category “Sustainable Waste Management & Resource Use” (or SWARM):
- Session 1 – What should a sustainable waste resource management programme for Tidy Towns looks like?
- Session 2 – Tidy Towns Case Studies: “Sustainable Waste Management & Resource Use”
- Session 3 – Workshops on Delivering Resource Use Efficiency – furniture reuse, repair directory, resource efficiency options
- Session 4 – How can Tidy Towns work with National Programmes and Local Authorities to deliver on the ground resource efficiency plans?
- Session 5 – Workshops on Delivering Resource Use Efficiency – delivering a green festival, and delivering the Stop Food Waste challenge