LAPN local authorities have produced many guides based on their waste prevention work in different business sectors or societal groups.
These are very worthwhile for other local authorities and businesses to use – they can be downloaded and are freely available from this website or the LAPN Catalogue.
LAPN guides include:
- Event manager’s resource pack: 4 steps for a cleaner, greener event. Produced by Limerick/Clare/Kerry Regional Office and Galway County Council to offer support in greening festivals and events.
- Changing behaviour saving resources: a guide to improving environmental performance in business. Galway County Council booklet to aid implementation of good environmental practices in business and save money through resource efficiency.
- Farming the environment: how to protect the environment, prevent waste, save money. Guide for farmers to improve the environmental performance of their farms, with water, waste and energy efficiency. Produced by Monaghan County Council.
- Waste prevention guide for industry and business. A guide to reduce waste and improve environmental management for companies. Produced by Limerick/Clare/Kerry Regional Office
- Calling time on waste. Guide for publicans to reduce the environmental impact of their pubs through water, waste and energy efficiency. Produced by Monaghan County Council.
- Using compost for sport pitch renovation. Best management practice guide using compost for sport pitch renovation in Ireland within a sustainable sport pitch maintenance & management system. Produced by Limerick/Clare/Kerry Regional Office
Several other guides, from various sources are also available and very worthwhile for local authorities to help them improve resource efficiency in their regions. These include:
- Smart garage guide – save money and improve the performance of your garage. Guide by Clean Technology Centre covers waste, water and energy issues for garages, hazardous waste management and other related issues.
- Composting – a household guide. Produced by Clean Technology Centre for Stop Food Waste; guide to home composting outlining its essentials, what can be composted, the different composting systems.
- How to green your campus or workplace: a step by step guide. A detailed guide by Clean Technology Centre and CIT on how the Cork Institute of Technology Sustainable Campus Programme was developed and guidelines on how such a resource efficiency programme could be implemented in campuses and other organisastions (public and private sector).
- A guide to running green meetings and events. Developed by Clean Technology Centre and HSC for Failte Ireland; details of the main elements of a green meeting or event, how to facilitate and run them, implementing an environmental management system etc.
- Pareto analysis guide. This guide is to enable data analysis as to what issues/problems should be tackled first in waste prevention. For example, a waste characterisation or audit may throw up dozens of sub-streams (organic, paper, plastic, etc.). Produced by Clean Technology Centre
- Walk through audit. This guide, developed by the Clean Technology Centre gives information on making objective, on-site observations of the actual situation, and these observations can be used to help identify areas for improvement and/or areas where more detailed assessment will be needed.
- Less food waste more profit. Guidebook to waste prevention in the catering sector, produced by Clean Technology Centre and the Green Hospitality Programme. Guide outlines how cost reductions can be made and food waste prevented in the purchasing, storage, cooking, serving and reuse/recycling of materials.